- Hi OsakaWebbi, I am running Os High Sierra for the Mac. VLC shows up in the list of video sources. Last night I watched a video on youtube by Eposvox with a link to the newest version of OBS it is 26.
- Hi, We've had the option to use VLC via vlcj in our media player within Vuze (and now BiglyBT) for sometime - everything was working, or at least we weren't getting any bug reports.
- VLC for Mac OS X: 64 bit VLC dmg package download link which works for Mac OS X 10.6 and later. 32 bits Intel Mac: This dmg package is for 32 bit Intel Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard users. PowerPC Mac: Dmg package for 32 bit PowerPC Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard users.
Macbook pro, iMac, macbook air, macbook, macbook retina display, macbook retina display 2, mac pro, iMac retina 5k display, mac mini,apple laptop.
If you are a huge DVD collector and sometimes rip DVD to digital files for wide accessing on multimedia devices, you maybe have installed Handbrake on your Mac. But it is not enough to rip DVD on Mac just with Handbrake cause most of commercial DVD discs have encryption such as CSS and Handbrake doesn’t have decryption library to bypass DVD copyright protection. To rip encrypted DVD with Handbrake, you need to install libdvdcss.pkg on Mac. Now, let’s show you DVD support (libdvdcss) installation on Mac including macOS Sierra and El Capitan.
Where do I find libdvdcss?
VideoLAN, the project behind VLC Media Player, hosts the last stable version of the libdvdcss library for MacOS High Sierra.
First, install Handbrake. You can get it from https://handbrake.fr/ .
Second, download the missing library directly from VLC. At that link, you can either download an installer package, which places the library where it belongs, or download thelibdvdcss.2.dylib file directly. If you take the latter option, you need to move that file to /usr/lib/ on your Mac. The installer does that for you.
That’s it! You should now be able to run handbrake and access encrypted DVD content on Mac.
Rip DVD with Handbrake on Mac (macOS Sierra/El Capitan)
1. Insert the DVD. HandBrake will display a dropdown sheet asking which Volume should be opened. Select the DVD from the list, and then click ‘Open.’ HandBrake’s main window will appear. After HandBrake spends a few moments analyzing the selected DVD, the DVD’s name will appear as the Source in HandBrake’s main window.
2. Choose the title to copy. The Title dropdown menu will be filled in with the DVD’s longest title; this is usually the main title for the DVD. HandBrake can only create a copy of a single title on a DVD. Of course you can run HandBrake multiple times if you want all of the DVD titles. In our example, we will assume you only want the main movie on the DVD, and not any of the extras.
3. Choose a destination. This is the file that will be created when the copy is made. You can use the suggested file name, or use the ‘Browse’ button to select another location to store the destination file and create a new name. Do not change the file extension, which will probably be .m4v. This file type will ensure you can use the resulting copy in iTunes, or directly on your Mac, using the VLC media player or Apple’s QuickTime Player.
4. Starting HandBrake. Click the ‘Start’ button near the top left of the HandBrake window. Once a copy or conversion starts, HandBrake will display a progress bar along the bottom of its window, along with an estimate of the time remaining to complete. HandBrake adds the progress bar to its Dock icon, so you can easily hide the HandBrake window and go on about your work while occasionally stealing a glance at the progress HandBrake is making.
libdvdcss is not enough to rip all commercial DVDs on Mac
Commercial DVDs have various DVD encryption includes CSS, region code, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, Disney x-project DRM, etc. Libdvdcss only can remove CSS and some of the region codes. Even you installed libdvdcss package on Mac to copy DVD with Handbrake, there is likely many DVD discs that you can’t deal with due to more complex encryption mechanism. Fortunately, a Handbrake alternative can do this.
As the best replacement of Handbrake, Pavtube ByteCopy for Mac can remove DVD encryption including CSS, region code, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, Disney x-project DRM, etc without installing libdvdcss by yourselves and then rip and convert DVD to MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, H.265/HEVC, etc. It can rip DVD to lossless/uncompressed MKV files and convert DVD to multi-track MP4/MOV with multiple subtitle and audio tracks. It is a DVD Ripper + DVD Copier which means it not only can rip and convert DVD to digital files but also can 1:1 backup DVD discs and directly copy DVD to VOB files on macOS Sierra and El Capitan.
Besides, Pavtube ByteCopy for Mac can rip DVD with preferred subtitles and even add external subtitles to DVDs. You can download Pavtube ByteCopy for Mac from the following buttons:
Rip DVDs on macOS Sierra/El Capitan with Handbrake Alternative
Step 1. Load DVD movie
Click “File” in top left corner and follow “Load from disc” to load the DVD movie to DVD Ripper on MacOS High Sierra.
Step 2. Three ways to copy DVD movie
A. DVD full disc copy
Full disc copy allows you to keep the whole file structure in your DVD disc complete without any quality loss. Click the “Copy the entire disc” button to start DVD full disc copy.
B. Directly copy
If you hate the extras in the DVD, you can try copying DVD main movie only which will leave out any extras for you. Click the format bar to follow “Copy” ＞ “Directly Copy.”
C. Rip DVD to multi-track MKV/MP4/MOV/AVI
Pavtube ByteCopy for Mac also allows you to preserve multi-track information when you choose DVD to multi-track MKV/MP4/AVI/MOV. Click the format bar to pick the proper multi-track output format under “Multi-track Video” option.
Step 3: Start backup and copy DVD
If you choose the second or third way to copy DVD movie, you need to hit the “Convert” button in bottom right corner to start DVD main movie copy or DVD to multi-track MKV, MP4, MOV and AVI conversion. When the process is completed, open output folder and find the ripped DVD file.
Now, you can play your DVD movies with QuickTime on your MacBook Air, iMac, MacBook Pro, etc. You also can transfer ripped DVD files to iTunes for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV playback. If you love to travel, you can load these DVD movies to thumb drive and some mini external hard drive then take the movie library with you. Putting DVD library to personal cloud and media server allows you to watch favorite DVD movies on bedroom television or some portable devices freely. Just enjoy your achievement as much as possible.
More from my site
Devices and Mac OS X version
VLC media player requires Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later. It runs on any Mac with a 64-bit Intel processor or an Apple Silicon chip. Previous devices are supported by older releases.
Note that the first generation of Intel-based Macs equipped with Core Solo or Core Duo processors is no longer supported. Please use version 2.0.10 linked below.
If you need help in finding the correct package matching your Mac's processor architecture, please see this official support document by Apple.
Web browser plugin for Mac OS X
Support for NPAPI plugins was removed from all modern web browsers, so VLC's plugin is no longer maintained. The last version is 3.0.4 and can be found here. It will not receive any further updates.
Older versions of Mac OS X and VLC media player
We provide older releases for users who wish to deploy our software on legacy releases of Mac OS X. You can find recommendations for the respective operating system version below. Note that support ended for all releases listed below and hence they won't receive any further updates.
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Use VLC 2.2.8. Get it here.
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
Download Free Vlc Player For Mac
Use VLC 2.0.10. Get it for PowerPC or 32bit Intel.
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later is required
Use VLC 0.9.10. Get it for PowerPC or Intel.
Mac OS X 10.3 Panther
Vlc Free Download For Macos High Sierra
QuickTime 6.5.2 or later is required
Use VLC 0.8.6i. Get it for PowerPC.
Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar
Use VLC 0.8.4a. Get it for PowerPC.
Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah and 10.1 Puma
Vlc Osx High Sierra
Use VLC 0.7.0. Get it for PowerPC.