Would you like to control your PC from another computer? Windows 10 comes with the built-in Remote Desktop Connection utility you can use. The feature is available on Windows 10 PCs and mobile devices.
Windows 10 can be configured to access your computer using Remote Desktop from a number of different devices. Allowing Remote Desktop sessions to your computer from your remote devices gives you access to files and resources from anywhere you are when away from home or the office. Windows 10 editions that officially support the RDP Server feature can turn it on from the user interface in the Windows Settings app or the Windows System dialog: Properties: Remote. However, you won’t find these settings in Windows 10 Home or S editions. The RDP Wrapper Library (rdpwrap) project hot-wires Windows’ built-in RDP server (the. Tip: Like any desktop Windows program, Remote Desktop is for Windows 10 / 8.1 releases. The key to its successful connection via the RDP protocol is the availability of an account, correct login and password for each user. Download RDP-Wrap-v.1.2.zip. Extract files from zip file. Go to folder with extracted files and run install.bat. Go to settings, about, and note pcname (or change pc to a more memorable name) Reboot PC. You can now connect to Home via RDP using an suitable RDP client using pc name from above, even from android (and probably Apple) phones/tablets.
What is Remote Desktop?
Remote Desktop allows you to connect to and control your computer from another device with the use of a Microsoft Remote Desktop client (available for Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS).
When you enable remote connections on your PC, you can use another device to access all your files, apps, and network resources as though you were on your PC.
To use Remote Desktop, the following requirements have to be met:
- The remote computer needs to be turned on.
- Both devices must have a network connection.
- Remote desktop must be enabled on both devices.
- There has to be network access to the remote computer.
- You must have permission to connect.
To gain permission to connect, you have to be on the list of users. Also, before you start a connection, it’s advisable to look up the name of the computer you are connecting to and make sure its firewall allows Remote Desktop Connections.
How do I set up Remote Desktop on Windows 10?
The Remote Desktop built-in function was introduced in the Windows 10 Fall Creators update (1709). For earlier versions of Windows 10, you’d have to download the Remote Desktop app from the Windows Store.
To enable the feature in the Windows 10 Fall Creators update or later versions, follow these easy steps:
- Select Start on the PC you want to remotely connect to.
- Click on the Settings
- Select the System
- Select the Remote Desktop
- Use the slider to turn on Enable Remote Desktop.
- To add users who can connect to the PC, click Select users that can remotely access this PC.
Note: Members of the Administrators group have automatic access.
- Under How to connect to this PC, note the name of the device. This will be needed when it’s time to configure the clients.
On earlier versions of Windows 10, download the Microsoft Remote Desktop Assistant and run it. The assistant enables remote access after it updates your system settings. It also checks that your firewall can allow Remote Desktop connections and ensures your computer is awake for connections.
Once you have configured the remote computer, follow these easy steps to start a remote desktop session:
- Type Remote Desktop Connection in the search box located on the taskbar. Select the option from the search results.
- In Remote Desktop Connection, enter the name of the PC you want to connect to and click on Connect.
For earlier versions of Windows 10 without the built-in feature, follow these steps:
- Open the Remote Desktop app on the device you’ll use to connect to the remote computer. (Download the app from the Windows Store if you do not have it).
- Click on the add button displayed in the top-right corner.
- Click the desktop
- Enter the name or IP address (recommended) of the PC you want to connect to.
Note: enter the local IP address of the PC if it’s inside a private network.
- Click on Add account.
- Enter the information needed to sign in on the remote computer:
- If the remote computer uses a local account, enter the local username and password.
- If it is using a Microsoft account, enter the sign-in information of the account.
- Click Save.
- To add the connection to your list, click on the Save button again.
- On the list of available connections, select the computer you wish to connect to.
- Mark the ‘Don’t ask about this certificate again’ checkbox if you get a certificate warning from a trusted computer.
- Click on Connect.
Can Windows 10 Home use Remote Desktop?
Would you like to access the Remote Desktop feature on your Windows 10 PC? But unfortunately, you are using Windows 10 Home. Only the Pro and Enterprise versions can use the feature.
Install Rdp Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Don’t fret anyway. We will show you how to enable it on your Windows 10 Home device.
How to enable Remote Desktop in Windows 10 Home
The service for the RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) server and the components that make the remote connection possible is available on Windows 10 Home. But the feature is blocked or disabled. Microsoft did not remove it completely because it is needed for support and allows the use of third-party services.
The solution presented here is a workaround. If it doesn’t work for you as expected, you can use a third-party remote connection app. Some are available on the Windows Store.
To use the workaround, here’s what you have to do:
- Download the latest version of RDP Wrapper Library and run the installation file. Once installed, it will enable the components needed for the remote desktop.
- Type Remote Desktop in the search box. You will see the RDP software.
- To connect to the remote computer, type in the computer name and password.
- Make sure that Remote Desktop Connection is allowed on the computer you want to connect to.
Keep in mind that the RDP wrapper may not be legal since it modifies some of the configuration files of Windows 10 Home.
If you download the library from an unknown source, it is important you protect your PC from malware and security threats with Auslogics Anti-Malware.
Protect PC from Threats with Anti-Malware
Check your PC for malware your antivirus may miss and get threats safely removed with Auslogics Anti-Malware
Install Rdp Windows 10 Home Full
The tool is very user-friendly. It runs automatic, scheduled scans to detect malicious items you wouldn’t have known existed on your PC. It is easy to set up and is designed not to conflict with your main antivirus. This means you have double protection. Auslogics Antimalware can catch and eliminate items your antivirus may not detect.
We hope you’ve found this content useful.
Do leave a comment in the section below.